Monday, November 2, 2009

Filling Your Dreams to the Brim with Fright

Well, the magic of Minnie Mouse for Halloween did not come true this year. I trudged all over Newbury Street last Thursday after one of the most difficult weeks of school since the melodramatic freshman freak-outs 4 years ago. For the first time ever, I walked down one of my favorite streets in Boston in shopping despair. People were everywhere. American Apparel- packed with sparkly spandex snatching  College students. And Urban Outfitters?- line cutting, reminiscent of 1st grade gym class, was rampant! H&M had sold out of red mini skirts, a Minnie necessity, and their fitting room was over a 45-minute wait. Chaos and Crisis.

I found myself losing determination and finally caved to the retail catastrophe I was faced with. I walked home with only two sets of fake eye lashes (a long awaited fantasy to try out) and the most disgruntled attitude about my failing love for this Pagan holiday.

Luckily I have the most encouraging roommate. With the help of her convincing words, a glass of Champagne and a dance session with Weezy, we had worked me back up to celebrate the weekend! And what a weekend it was...














So I kept the mouse theme but reworked it from Minnie to something like Angelina Ballerina. My hair was used for the ears by creating two buns and I topped it off with a flower headband. The rest included a black leotard, a silver bubble dress that I folded down into a skirt, black tights, leg warmers and ballet flats. After some makeup and the success of those fake lashes, it was time to go! Here I am with a friend dressed as Patty Mayonnaise and my roommate as Dorothy form The Wizard of Oz.














If you find yourself questioning a costume, just buy an afro wig and you will never go wrong!




















With High School friends dressed as Cindy Lou-Who from the Grinch and Snow White.
There were loads of other amazing costumes roaming the Boston streets this year including some of my favorites: A Snuggie, A Disco Stick, The Son of Man by Rene Magritte, Sookie from Trueblood, as well as some great Hunter S. Thompson and Lady Gaga costumes.

What did you dress up as?

No comments:

Post a Comment