Friday, November 13, 2009

Be Kind, Rewind

Sometimes certain smells, noises, or even tastes take me back to a memory of childhood I'll never get back. As graduation gets nearer, I am constantly confronted with the future of adulthood and responsibility. I can't tell if it's the thought of a real job, budgeting bills, or just planning the accomplishments that are socially expected of a woman in her 20s that are overwhelming me. All I know, is that when anxiety goes beyond bearable, the brief escapes to puddle jumping or tea parties with your neighborhood friends are perfectly acceptable.
My Top 5 Rewinds:
1. My hometown all covered in snow!

Fenns is close to my heart. My Dad took my brothers and I on many hikes as kids through the trails of this small mountain in Middlebury, CT.
2. Van Morrison





Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
This song, along with all of Van's song, were played in my house constantly growing up. I truly believe his voice can ease every problem in the world like a magical Irish mist.
3. My 8 Best Friends

We have been friends since elementary school and any amount of separation is difficult to bear. Although we keep in touch constantly, and two of them are right here in Boston, nothing compares to sitting at our local coffee shop or on one of our couches just simply reminiscing.
4. Madeline

My favorite book growing up that my Mom read before I went to sleep. Madeline helped me be less insecure of having a big scar on my stomach after a surgery when I was 3.
5. Climbing Trees

In the house I grew up in, there was a big Maple tree in the front yard that I always climbed. I turned it into a fort and brought snacks (of course), homework, books, or even the phone when it got to that point, up to a certain branch. I drove past my house a few years back to find my tree had been cut down.

Although these times have passed, I think it's good to look back and remember. Plus, there's so many more memories to make in the years ahead! What are some of your fondest childhood memories?

1 comment: