Monday, November 9, 2009

The Heart of Sunday Dinner

I grew up on a small street, in a small town, in the small state of Connecticut. In all that small space, my parents felt it necessary to instill a strong value of tradition in every aspect of our lives in order to keep our family close. My favorite tradition, and possibly the most accustomed in the Dwyer home, was Sunday Dinner.  It was the one day of the week that all of my family could sit down and eat one of my mom's best home cooked meals. No one was rushing to baseball practice, a soccer game, or dance lesson. It was a day you would wake up at 9 a.m. and already smell dinner cooking.


In efforts to keep the family tradition going, my eldest brother and his girlfriend have helped me bring the Sunday Dinner to Boston. It has become a great way to spend the afternoon watching football or doing homework (Carly is my ever indebted tutor). But more than anything, it is a great way to spend some quality time together cooking in a cozy apartment kitchen. I have realized, team work really exposes itself when dinner is at risk.  


So this past week, we had more than just three bellies to fill, and with the cold weather blowing in the city air we decided comfort food was best. Colin had just made a pot of my mom's homemade sauce (famous) so Carly and I collaborated each of our desires. She made her famous Spinach & Ricotta Cheese Stuffed Shells while I decided on a parmesan course. Being a vegetarian, I wanted Eggplant Parmesan  but it's important to accommodate to my meat-loving family and guests, so I made the typical Chicken Parmesan

Stuffing the Shells

Breading the Eggplant, Sticky!

Finished Shells

Finished Parmesan

Bon Appetit!

1 comment: