Friday, May 28, 2010

From Your Loving Cup



This is the fine, fine moment that introduced me to Miss Sharon Jones. She's the shorter of those fantastic backup divas helping to create the amazing cover of Rolling Stone's "Loving Cup" from the album Exile on Main Street (most likely, the best album title of all time) with Phish at Festival 8. My brother and I drove home after Phish 3D listening to 100 Days, 100 Nights and I instantly became a forever fan of Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings.
I played her for my Dad yesterday and as he tried to guess who it was (a family game that keeps us musically in check), I kept exclaiming, "it's not Aretha, no not Tina either!" At 54 years old, an ex-prison guard, and a voice that could put any modern artist to shame, Sharon Jone's brings back the funk and revives the soul. My Dad sat with Sharon for a while and finally said, "it's great to hear that sound, because you never want to lose those roots of music." No, we never want to lose that, because then Katy Perry might wake up in Connecticut and not Vegas.

Here is a mix to keep you dancing under the sun, all weekend long!


Happy Memorial Day Lovies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment